A program within a Department Headquarters’ Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO) that manages budget and related business initiatives to ensure headquarters and enterprise IT initiatives are properly funded and comply with federal guidance. This includes direct support for the Planning, Programming, Budgeting, and Execution (PPBE) process, as well as supporting Working Capital Fund initiatives. This role also ties to related business activities that help unify efforts, improve mission effectiveness, and increase overall efficiency of IT initiatives within the Department. This engagement provides program management support to several divisions within the office, including analysis, communications, process improvement, and other activities.
The Senior Budget Formulation Analyst uses their strong budget acumen to help develop a large office budget for an enterprise-facing organization with diverse requirements and stakeholders. This position performs work that requires previous experience developing budget justifications at a large agency and in-depth knowledge of government IT programs. The Senior Budget Formulation Analyst will work closely with federal staff, up to and including senior leadership, to understand funding requirements for a wide array of IT programs, write strong justification materials to ensure these requirements are met, and interface with partners to defend budgeting decisions. This position will require regular coordination with stakeholders at the Senior Executive Service (SES)-level and potentially the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), therefore the analyst must possess strong communications skills.
Develop strong relationships with program office representatives to understand their budget requirements
• Assist with preparation and review Program Decision Options for funding requests
• Assist with prepare comprehensive business cases and reports to support budget reports in alignment with the Department's priorities
• Coordinate efforts of various staff members within Headquarters, and across mission space, who support the budget formulation process
• Brief senior executives at various stages of the budget formulation process
• Prepare formal submissions of budget materials for internal agency and OMB review
• Manage the responses to inquiries from DHS senior leadership and OMB on the budget materials
• Ability to decipher technology needs into easily-understandable terms and well-written summaries
Bachelor’s Degree in business management, financial management or information systems preferred
US Citizen; DHS suitability desired.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and commitment at all levels. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. Employment policies and decisions on employment and promotion are based on merit, qualifications, performance, and business needs. The decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees are made in a nondiscriminatory manner, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state, or local statutes.